Monday, April 14, 2014

Homemade Amish Mac N Cheese - Easy One-Dish Recipe!


          Okay, I just looked at it, and that title is kind of misleading. We aren't Amish. Haha. We got this recipe from an Amish cookbook that his parents bought in Amish country, and my husband LOVES to make this for whatever potluck we got to b/c it's such a lazy, easy, cheesy, delicious dish. You don't even need to precook the noodles! I make this a lot for our church potluck and it always goes! We always add some sort of extras such as paprika (though not Amish, my husband is 3/4 Hungarian) or garlic powder just to give a little something extra. I'll try to find out what book it is if you would like to get it, but I have a feeling it's not something you could just buy online or at a bookstore. Anyway, here is the best from scratch mac n cheese you'll ever have! Recipe after the jump...

Homemade Amish-Style Mac N Cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 lb velveeta cheese (I've NEVER used Velveeta for this. I more or less just guess the amount of cheese and use cheese that we grate ourselves or the bags of shredded cheese)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni (we also vary the kind of noodle we use too, to change it up a bit)
1 teaspoon salt
1 quart milk

Melt butter in baking dish and pour the mac. in melted butter. Stir mac. in butter until coated. Distribute cheese all over the mac.. Add salt, pepper, anything you want to taste, and milk. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Easy peasy, mac n cheesy. Enjoy this super simple dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment